Saturday, June 4, 2011

To quote Brent Spiner in Independence Day, "now comes the really icky part."

Diagnosis & treatment. How to pay for it when you don't have health insurance.

Hospitals employ financial counselors to deal with uninsured patients. Contrary to what seems to be a common belief, they don't throw you out to die in the street. 

It's worse. 

They make you document your financial situation by digging up all kinds of stuff you normally only have to think about at tax time.

Really icky.

In March 2010 I was looking for inner ear testing. My doctor, not liking to expose people to x-rays unnecessarily,  tried treating the pain in my hip joints with an anti-inflammatory. It worked great for a while. Then the pain came back. She sent me for the x-ray, thinking arthritis. The x-ray came back negative. I didn't have arthritis.


That's when she started thinking inner ear.



No comments:

Post a Comment